This is the back up forum for pregnancyforum.org.uk
This is the back up forum for our main forum www.pregnancyforum.org.uk

We are working on the issues at the moment, you will need to REGISTER here if you haven't done already

Urchin :O)

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

This is the back up forum for our main forum www.pregnancyforum.org.uk

We are working on the issues at the moment, you will need to REGISTER here if you haven't done already

Urchin :O)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

breastfeeding in a VERY public place.. in a feild 0.o

+6
tallytally
Christina
abcd1234
Julie84
merrymunky
MiltonSpammy
10 posters

Go down

breastfeeding in a VERY public place.. in a feild 0.o Empty breastfeeding in a VERY public place.. in a feild 0.o

Post by MiltonSpammy Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:11 am

I'm going to the dorset steam fair tomorrow and I just realised I'm bfing Shocked

this is a big fair, thousands of people, barely any seats apart from uncomfy garden chair things at burger vans i think Shocked

oh god i'm in a total panic what do i do?
No
MiltonSpammy
MiltonSpammy

Female
Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2011-08-20

Back to top Go down

breastfeeding in a VERY public place.. in a feild 0.o Empty Re: breastfeeding in a VERY public place.. in a feild 0.o

Post by merrymunky Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:15 am

Have you got a blanket or something you can put over your shoulder and across you to "protect modesty?"

It's nothing to be embarrassed about. I was in Costa with my MIL last week and sat on a table next to three mums and their small babies. One of them was just openly breastfeeding, NOT trying to hide it in the least. No one batted an eyelid or gave funny looks. A mum was feeing her child, simple.
merrymunky
merrymunky

Female
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

breastfeeding in a VERY public place.. in a feild 0.o Empty Re: breastfeeding in a VERY public place.. in a feild 0.o

Post by MiltonSpammy Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:21 am

I know I shouldn't be embrassed, I have planty of blankets but I suck at doing it discreetly and I can't do it on a chair with sides cos then Connie kicks the sides and unlatches, its really annoying haha

I'm just scared incase I get 1 of THOSE people who see you breastfeeding and decide to start yelling and bring everyone elses attention to it when no one else even noticed :/
MiltonSpammy
MiltonSpammy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie84 Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:22 am

I would just feed her - I think if you are nervous you might find people looking at you, but I think very few will care. I find myself looking because I love it and try and smile at mum.

I fed in the middle (literally just sat on the floor) of the Ideal Home Show in Earls Court, at a bird of prey exhibition surrounded by Brownies, on a plane (with a 19 month old who flashed the air stewardess my nipple!) - I never had any comments but I did just get on and do it wnd never apologized to anyone. Because I was feeding my baby so everyone else could take a running jump if they had a problem with it (most strangers didn't even notice I was feeding though).

If you lift your top up no one will see anything apart from you giving Connie a cuddle, take a muslin or light blanket t cover yourself if you are concerned about latching her on.

You'll be fine, just be confident and remember what you are doing - feeding your baby - so you have nothing to be embarrassed about.

Have a great day. Smile

Julie84

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by MiltonSpammy Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:26 am

thanks hun. I might take my bfing pillow under the pram aswell just to hide my belly abit and cos I use my legs to prop her up usually lol

urgh i'm not used to this i usually bf in an empty park that sounds weird, designated bfing areas or hide in the toilets :/
but hell no am i hiding in potatble loos, i could just see the germs coming to sit on me *shudders*
MiltonSpammy
MiltonSpammy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie84 Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:41 am

Too right. Take anything you need to make yourself more comfortable, take a,k the time - ask whoever you are with to go and get you a drink and take Eve or something to give you a few minutes to do the initial latching on your own. You'll be fine. And don't feed in toilets, I don't worry for babies so much as poor mums sitting in toilets for so long - yuck!

The only time I got 'the look' was from an old couple when I fed Jessica in an Asda restaurant. It was very obvious because she was hungry and flailing about but I just smiled at them and got on with it - I wasn't so confident inside but my 'I don't really are if you know I'm doing as I'm going to do it anyway' smile stopped them and they just looked the other way.

Act confident and pretty much everyone else will follow your lead - and your real confidence will catch up I promise. Smile

Julie84

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MiltonSpammy Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:45 am

thanks hun Very Happy
now i just need to hope they have benches or chairs i can bf on haha
MiltonSpammy
MiltonSpammy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie84 Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:48 am

Take a picnic blanket too just in case - I hated feeding in garden chairs (which is what you normally get at places like this) - then you can sit in the grass and feed if you want without getting a spiky (or dam) bottom!

Have a fab day, the weather looks like it's going to be nice and I bet Eve will love it.

Julie84

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MiltonSpammy Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:51 am

ohhh i hope its nice its so busy im scared ill get trampled hahaha but i have a pblanket i can take Very Happy

i hope she likes it, going to have to take the reins with me so she can walk arund Very Happy
MiltonSpammy
MiltonSpammy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by abcd1234 Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:46 am

you still got that pouch hun?? I used to BF Tally in a babasling and Connies age and they are brilliant for that kind of thing
abcd1234
abcd1234

Female
Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by MiltonSpammy Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:56 am

yeah, i can take that and try it out Very Happy
MiltonSpammy
MiltonSpammy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Christina Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:00 am

Once you do it the first time, it will seem so much easier!

You could use a muslin / blanket for modesty!
tbh I find people don't even notice, even when I'm not being particularly discreet! Very Happy

I was exactly the same with my eldest, but now I just don't care, and will feed anywhere / anytime!

Christina

Female
Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by tallytally Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:50 am

Christina wrote:Once you do it the first time, it will seem so much easier!

You could use a muslin / blanket for modesty!
tbh I find people don't even notice, even when I'm not being particularly discreet! Very Happy

I was exactly the same with my eldest, but now I just don't care, and will feed anywhere / anytime!
^^this
In 5 months i've never had one negative comment about bf and lord help anyone that dares!
Soon you wont give it a second thought, whilst i try and be descreet i know its not always possible so try not to let it phase me- and i am not a confdent person at all- bf is one thing im confident about!
If you have a big baggy cardigan i find its great for covering my side so noone sees my tummy fat fold lol
Good luck with it Smile

tallytally

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Hally Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:11 am

One of my friends recommended those bump bands that you use when you are pregnant to continue wearing your "normal" clothes; she said that she put one on under whatever she was wearing and then when she lifted up her top it kept her tummy covered. I think they sell them in Asda, I'm going to look myself later as know eventually I'll end up bfing in public. I'm not a shy person but I don't like the idea of one of THOSE people either Shocked

Hally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by tallytally Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:27 am

Hally wrote:One of my friends recommended those bump bands that you use when you are pregnant to continue wearing your "normal" clothes; she said that she put one on under whatever she was wearing and then when she lifted up her top it kept her tummy covered. I think they sell them in Asda, I'm going to look myself later as know eventually I'll end up bfing in public. I'm not a shy person but I don't like the idea of one of THOSE people either Shocked
Maternity leggings work wonders too!!

tallytally

Female
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by baby_dreamin1 Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:02 am

abcd1234 wrote:you still got that pouch hun?? I used to BF Tally in a babasling and Connies age and they are brilliant for that kind of thing

i was going to suggest this, i'm sure you'll be fine hun you'll always have someone staring, i fed loads of places even an ice hockey match hahaha!!
baby_dreamin1
baby_dreamin1

Female
Number of posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Hally Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:22 pm

baby_dreamin1 wrote:
i fed loads of places even an ice hockey match hahaha!!

Love it!! I might end up doing this when DH gets physio-ed enough to get back to ice hockey Laughing

Hally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Eva~Marie Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:26 pm

I'd just stick a rug around you and sit cross legged on the floor. I used to take a long a feeding cushion or used my coat rolled up to help get comfortable. Most people will be looking at all the attractions going on around them so don't worry. cat
Eva~Marie
Eva~Marie

Female
Number of posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by dannii87 Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:39 pm

Go for it!! Do whatever makes you feel comfortable xxxx
dannii87
dannii87

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down